Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Even Teachers Need a Teacher

If you’ve read my words before you know that I’m a sales trainer and inspirational speaker. While I speak in front of all types of audiences, from teachers to psychologists to you-name-it, I make a substantial part of my income from teaching salespeople how to do their jobs better. You also know, if you’ve read me before, that I’m a big believer in the importance of attitude and mindset. What you might not know is that even those of us who are “cocky” enough to think that we have important lessons to share with the world, we need teachers too.

I’m constantly studying and I’ve been blessed to have some fabulous teachers over the years. My current teacher is a world thought leader whose name is James Arthur Ray. (www.jamesray.com) James is the first to admit that he isn’t teaching anything new but he’s a master at taking some of the more complex ideas of the ages and making them understandable and applicable to the real world. I was fortunate enough to recently spend three days in San Diego studying with him and would like to share some thoughts and ideas that I believe will be useful to you.

1) Stop competing and get creative – If you want to have more (more money, better health, fulfilling relationships, etc.) you must get over the mentality that says there’s a lack of resources and that we have to “beat the other guy.” The competitive mentality says that “there’s not enough to go around so I better get my share before the other guy gets it.” A far better strategy is to understand that there is an abundance of almost everything and plenty to go around for all. In order to access your “share” of everything you deserve in life you need to get creative and stop worrying about the “other guy” getting what’s “rightfully” yours. You ARE entitled to have it all. The other guy is too. I have several friends here on Long Island who train salespeople too and am always thrilled for them when they get business. There’s PLENTY to go around for all of us. Find creative ways to develop your business and attract customers to you and don’t worry so much about beating someone else.

2) Breakthroughs are almost always preceded by breakdowns – Over the last year many people have lost. They’ve lost their jobs, their cars, their homes and more. Some are still suffering but others have taken the opportunity to move forward. I’ve spoken to countless people who have taken this chance to form their own business and many are thriving. Whole losing your job almost never feels like a good thing at the time, deciding to take the leap and start your own business that quickly turns into a successful money-earner looks very good in hindsight. Risky? Sure. Was it risky for Bill Gates to drop out of Harvard and start his own little software company? Yup, but it seems to have worked out well for him. There’s a lesson in everything and while the lesson is often painful at the time we can use these challenges (breakdowns) to move us forward in our careers and lives. When life throws the bad stuff at you it’s time to be hopeful and even excited because the good stuff could be right around the corner.

3) Commitment is the key – My teacher shared a formula for success this weekend that I’ll pass on to you…
Decide, RIGHT NOW, what it is you choose to create.
Decide what you’re willing to give up in order to get it. (there’s a price to pay for everything)
Set a commitment and GET BUSY! You can wish and hope for the stars but getting more of you what you want takes massive action.

Is it easy? No. Will there be challenges? Almost definitely, but no one makes it to the top of Mount Everest without the pain and mind-numbing cold of the climb. I haven’t climbed that particular mountain but I’ll bet it feels pretty darned good when you’re standing at the top.

Make It Happen!

3 comments:

  1. Agree. I live my live in accordance to goals. Then I divide that big goal up in small parts and "eat the big elephant" slow but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff! Great way to see things...either you can focus on your own stuff and get better, or focus on what your neighbor over there is doing, and watch him get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Jeff! Thanks for passing it on. See, somebody reads your newsletter. Keep it coming.
    Lowell

    ReplyDelete